Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Sunday, December 25, 2005

2005 Year in Review… 2006 and beyond…

My own personal Year in Review begins once again by me saying unequivocally that the seventh sign of the apocalypse did not come to pass. If you are a member of my close circle of friends, you know what the seventh sign was and I need not elaborate any further. Beyond that one tiny insignificant non-event, I'd have to say 2005 was a stellar year in the life of Dr. P. Haystack.

I began 2005 down in New Orleans with a couple of former adversaries back from my college running days. Thinking back, I was looking to the future that was to be 2005 with great joy and enthusiasm. I was basically starting in a new position at work (and I ain't talking bout the pretzel) that would lead me to traveling around the U.S. By March I had already stepped foot in 10 states including Hawaii where I spent all of February. Later I would spend most of November in Hawaii for work.

Haystack Entry #12

Pretzel - n.

1. Food found at the Mall, Baseball Games and Renaissance Faires

2. Sexual position were the chick lies on her side while the dude is kneeing between her legs, curling her right leg around his right side and straddling over her left leg.

In 2005 I hared eleven trails spread out amongst three hashes: Everyday is Wednesday, White House and Full Moon. Several of the trails were complete cluster fucks while others were rousing successes. My favorite trail, and one I'm sure will go down as one of the best of the year, was the Baseball Full Moon Hash that Wang Chunks and myself put together in July. Perfect weather, perfect trail and a tremendous time had by all who participated.

I think the most significant event of 2006 was my rediscovery of my own personal love of running. I had been toying with the idea of taking up running semi-seriously again for a while and decided to go for it this past year. The pivotal moment was during the Arlington Relay for Life were Mr. G. Showers and myself decided to run 16 miles on the track, a foolish endeavor I'll grant thee fair reader. It was during that particular run where I decided that I still have what it takes to be the runner I used to be. Later I would go back to my alma mater to run the PVI Sportsfest 5K. It's ironic that I return to the place I began my running career to jumpstart my new career. I ran am 18:10, almost exactly the same time I ran my first 5k my freshman year in High School.

I begin looking towards 2006 like I did 2005, with a sense of joy and enthusiasm, but also with a renewed sense of confidence. I am looking forward to multiple Hawaii-work trips and also of running my first two marathons: Shamrock in Virginia Beach and LaSalle in Chicago. In 2007 I plan on running Boston and then who knows, I think it'd be cool to make my way out to Amsterdam or Dublin for a marathon, a good excuse for a European sex-tour me thinks. I am not sure what 2006 holds for me, but I do know this, 2006 is going to be a great year… And who knows, maybe the angles and demons will fall asleep allowing the 7th sign to come to pass… but I ain't gonna hold my breathe over it, too much living to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Late Nite Drive Thru said...

that position is truly complicated

6:31 PM  
Blogger Murray said...

Great recap, and maybe we'll do a repeat at this year's Relay for Life. Happy New Year!

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home